Healthchecks.io (a service by SIA Monkey See Monkey Do) operates several websites
including healthchecks.io, hc-ping.com, and hchk.io. We are committed to ensuring
that your privacy is protected. Therefore, if you provide us with personal
information, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this
What Does This Policy Cover?
- Our website healthchecks.io;
- Our ping endpoints hc-ping.com and hchk.io.
collectively as “Services”.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with
the choices you have regarding that information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example,
to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in two ways: if and when you provide information to us and
automatically through operating our Services. Let's go over the information that we
Information You Provide to Us
We collect the information you provide directly to us. Here are the types of
information we collect:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you to set up your
account. We require individuals who sign up for a Healthchecks.io account to
provide an email address, an optional password and that's it.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you buy a subscription from us–you will
provide additional personal and payment information required to process the
transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and
- Credentials for Notification Services: Depending on the notification methods you
configure on Healthchecks.io, you may provide us with additional email addresses,
phone numbers, credentials for posting to your chat rooms and to your incident
- Communicating with Us: You may also provide us information when you communicate
with our team about a support question.
Information That We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that
web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically provide, such as the browser
type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site,
the date and time of access and operating system. We collect log information when
you use our Services–for example when you create or make changes to your account.
- Time Zone: We collect your browser's reported time zone. We use the collected time
zone to send monthly or weekly email reports at an appropriate time (between 9AM
and 11AM your local time).
How and Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account or charge
you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services–for example by adding new features we
think our users will enjoy or will help them to use our Services more efficiently;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our
Services, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Healthchecks.io and
others, which may cause us declining the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example, to solicit your feedback, or to keep you up
to date on Healthchecks.io and our products.
How Long We Keep Information
We do not keep your information for longer than is necessary.
- Inactive accounts. If your Healthchecks.io account is inactive for more than a year,
we send an inactive account notification to your email address. If the account is
still inactive 30 days after the notification, we close your account automatically.
- Database backups. We keep database backups for up to 2 months. Therefore, when you
delete information from your account or close your account completely, your
information can still be recovered from our database backups for up to 2 months.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing
information about you under EU data protection laws. Our use of your information is
based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service
or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example,
to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and
update our Services, to improve our Services so we can offer you an even better
user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to monitor and
prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users' private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and
with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Subsidiaries, Employees, and Independent Contractors: We may disclose information
about you to our subsidiaries, our employees, and individuals who are our independent
contractors that need to know the information to help us provide our Services or to
process the information on our behalf. We require our subsidiaries, employees, and
we share with them.
- Third-Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third-party vendors who
need to know information about you to provide their services to us, or to provide
their services to you. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services
to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information,
or SMS and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you). We require
vendors to agree to privacy commitments to share information with them. These vendors
are listed in the "List of Data Sub-processors" section below.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court
order, or other governmental requests.
- To Protect the Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you
when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the
property or rights of Healthchecks.io, third parties, or the public. For example, if
we have a good faith belief there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical
injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- Business Transfers: In connection with any merger, sale of company assets, or
acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company, or in the
unlikely event that Healthchecks.io goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, user
information would likely be one of the assets that are transferred or acquired by a
continue to apply to your information and the party receiving your information may
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your
direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which
you authorize us to do so, such as the notification services that you connect to your
account on our site.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information, which has been
aggregated or reasonably de-identified so that the information could not reasonably
be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the
use of our Services.
Although no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information
about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take
reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential
vulnerabilities and attacks. We handle data breaches according to our
Data Breach Policy.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose
not to provide the optional account information and billing information. Please
remember that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our
Services–for example, paid ones, may not be accessible.
- Close Your Account: While we'd be very sad to see you go if you no longer want to use
our Services, you can close your Healthchecks.io account. Please remember that we may
continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in "How
Long We Keep Information" above.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the European
General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you
rights regarding your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law,
including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
Usually, you can access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account
settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren't able to do that, or you would like
to contact us about one of the other rights, please see "How To Contact Us" below for
our contact details.
EU individuals may also make a complaint to a government supervisory authority. You can
look up the contact details of your government supervisory authority here.
Other Things You Should Know
Because Healthchecks.io Services are offered worldwide, the information about you, which
we process when you use the Services in the EU may be used, stored, and/or accessed by
third party processors operating outside the European Economic Area (EEA). This is
required for the purposes listed in the "How and Why We Use Information" section above.
When providing information about you to entities outside the EEA, we will take
appropriate measures to ensure that the recipient protects your personal information
List of Data Sub-processors
Healthchecks.io uses these products/services (which are all GDPR compliant):
- Hetzner: for hosting our monitoring service and storing data.
- Amazon Web Services: for storing encrypted database backups.
- Twilio: for sending SMS and WhatsApp messages.
- Braintree: for PayPal and credit card payments.
- Fastmail: for email hosting.
- OVHcloud: object storage, for storing ping request data.
occasionally. If we believe that the changes are material, we'll let you know by
sending you an email about the changes.
- July 7, 2023: Removed Elastic Email from the list of sub-processors.
- October 28, 2022: Published Data Breach Policy.
- April 1, 2022: Added OVHcloud to the list of sub-processors.
- February 21, 2022: In the list of subprocessors, updated AWS description (we are no
longer using AWS to send email).
- January 26, 2022: Added Elastic Email to the list of sub-processors.
- May 24, 2021: Added a note about automatic collection of browser's time zone.
- December 28, 2020: Added Fastmail to the list of sub-processors.
- November 9, 2020: Removed ChartMogul from the list of sub-processors.
- July 29, 2019: Rewritten with more specifics, added the list of sub-processors.
- May 6, 2018: Updated for GDPR compliance.
- Dec 27, 2015: Initial version.
How to Contact Us
any of the rights mentioned in the "Your Rights" section above, please contact us:
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us: +371-26395493
- Or write to us at: SIA Monkey See Monkey Do, Matīsa iela 61A - 20, Rīga, LV-1009, Latvia
permission (Thank you!).